The first time I read the famous book 'Who Moved My Cheese' was, when I was in high school. I got a chance to read it once again just after a completion of one year of my professional life. I appreciated it a little more when I read it the second time. There were several reasons why I was impressed the second time, but the most vital of them was the changing global scenario and changes in my personal life.
Although the book is more about accepting the 'CHANGE', it gives something more than just ability to adapt. I wonder exactly when does this word 'Adapt' suits someone??? Generally by definition we take for granted that the person who is being relocated should adapt to the new environment. That is true... No doubt ! But not entirely true. Along with the migrated person the natives also have to adapt to the changes brought by such immigrants.
Be it the issue of American Jobs being lost to non-Americans, or be it the problem of Mumbai-Marathi and Non Maharashtrians. The question always remains that how much are we ready to change. The common factor between both the problems quoted above is the 'Tug of War' for 'Bread and Butter'. The migration has pushed the natives to share their opportunities with immigrants. People make it or rather take it more as a prestige issue than conglomeration.
The CHANGE itself is not a black and white thing, it does not have the exact stable equilibrium. Even though both the sides are ready to change, the equilibrium does not lie exactly in the center. And thats why either of the parties feel the fear of loosing. We can take the same example quoted above for further discussion. If we assume the rope as a symbol of opportunity in the game of tug of war, the aim of both the teams is to pull the rope on their own side. The team need not to pull the entire length of the rope on its side, but certain piece of rope pulled would be enough to decide the winner. The only ideal case would be the ideal rope which would keep on extending with application of force. This way no team will feel the fear of loosing, but instead each team can enjoy the fun of pulling.
Ha ha ha .... This is not a blog to teach the game of tug of war... indeed. But the imaginary rope that keeps on extending can reflect the situation where the opportunities keep on growing with increased amount of market force. ... Again this is an imaginary situation.
I don't want to indicate here any specific winner amongst the immigrants and natives. What I want to indicate is just that we are facing a situation where we have to change as a immigrant or as a native, whatever be it. This forum might be too small to conclude on these problems but a good stage to start thinking on it....
As it is well said 'Change is the only constant thing in the World'. So lets find our cheese or make one.
No comments:
Post a Comment